Monday, January 10, 2005

Welcome to the scOutpost

Hello! this is the first posting of the scOutpost, a blog that is designed to document the searching for, tinkering with, and evaluation of new end-user technologies. There are so many new and interesting hardware and software products and services available, many of them open-source, with "some assembly required". The documentation and user reviews often don't capture the real investment in time and energy required to get the thing working.
I'll let other blogs and writers make neat literary allusions and witty references. You'll see none of that from me...well maybe some wit depending on the time of day. I'm not a prolific writer, and it still blows my mind as to how some bloggers can write so much on a regular basis. I'm more of a data guy than a words guy, so in place of profound statements, you'll see quanititave analysis or stats.
As far as the level of technical writing, I think I'll err on the side of the novice rather than assume a technical audience. I've got a technical background (which has become a bit rusty over the past few years), but want to critically evaluate these technologies for usability for broader adoption. Anyway, we'll see how this goes. Feel free to comment!

No comments: